Tuesday, February 2, 2010

In the future

I apologize that my post is unclear to the two of you. I am at work and basically typing at 200wpm (exaggeration) in a stream of consciousness. I think I even said in my first post that I realize that the people here are exceptionally intelligent in regards to film which would be why I would post a question like this here and not on a mainstream dot.com board (EDIT: I actually did not mention this, but obviously, people know their film around here). I thought I was inferring this by listing what "laymen" (mass audience) generally know. Obviously, I can ask people on the street who may have only seen Psycho or Rear Window and most common people aren't going to be well versed in the British period (Yes, that goes for the 39 Steps) or even the lesser known American films. That was my only point when I was accused of assigning my "inadequacies" to the common public and somehow writing off films I haven't seen.

In the future, I will not try to arouse friendly conversation in this matter with the general perceptions of a director's work by the lowest common denominator of society. I consider myself a novice and more apart of them, (despite seeing a handful of Ozu, Eisenstein, etc... films) then me being a film scholar. Other people seemed to respond to my post and understand what I was getting at, so forgive me if my tone to your nitpicking of my post was abrasive. I was somewhat confounded. So, let me start again.

I have seen Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo, Shadow of a Doubt, Notorious (my favorite), The Birds, Lifeboat, Rope, The 39 Steps, Rebecca, North by Northwest, and Dial M for Murder. (I might be forgetting some).

What lesser known Hitchcock films (whether British or American) are worth checking out?

The Lady Vanishes is next on my list. Does anything in his filmography from the 1920s or 1930s demand a viewing for someone that is not a completest and has about 1000 other films by 100 other directors he wants to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment